Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Krom's Backed Kickstarter Games

Kickstarter video game development has been a hot topic recently due to some controversies and some large successes.  If you want to see my post regarding controversies on Kickstarter see my blog post HERE!  I have backed quite a few Kickstarters this last year and want to share my reasons for backing these projects.

One missed opportunity I had for Kickstarter was Shovel Knight.  I was aware of the Kickstarter and watched it everyday.  Unfortunately I was a recent college graduate looking for my first job and did not have the funds to spend on Kickstarter.  This was one of the very first Kickstarters that I really wanted to back but I did not have any cash burning a hole in my pocket.

My first backed Kickstarter project was the spiritual successor to Rare's Banjo-Kazooie, Yooka-Laylee.  Interestingly enough this was Kickstarted on my wife's behalf.  She is a huge Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie fan.  In-fact she plays through Banjo-Kazooie on a yearly basis.  Once I showed her that some of the old creators were creating a spiritual successor it was a no brainer to back this project.

Yooka-Laylee

Yooka Laylee is a return of the 3D collect-a-thon games of yore.  It shares a lot in common with Banjo-Kazooie, including the main characters being a duo character of sorts.  Instead of a bear and bird combo it is a chameleon (Yooka) and bat (Laylee) combo, which are quite adorable and badass!  (profanity for keeping my street cred up)  This game is sure to have a ton of charm...come on...it has a snake wearing pants named Trowser that sells new moves to Yooka and Laylee.  Hope I don't have to explain that any further!

Couple weeks after Yooka-Laylee was announced, Koji Igarashi took to Kickstarter to try and get backers to support development of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.  If you do not know who Koji Igarashi is he is one of the founding fathers of a game playstyle known as metroidvania or igavania.  These type of games include a huge map of interconnected rooms or halls that house a slew of enemies that need to be taken out by the player.  A notable game in this genre is Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.  The reason I decided to back this Kickstarter was because I absolutely love metroidvania games.  One of my favorite games is Castlevania Aria of Sorrow (GBA) and its sequel Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow (DS).  There were several other metroidvania games released for the DS that were also great games but none that impacted me as much as these two games.  I am looking forward to the eventual release of this game, hopefully everything goes smoothly during development and we see the release in 2017.

My copies of Castlevania metroidvania games

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Main Character Miriam

For the next game I will admit that I completely got caught up in the hype.  "ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!"  I don't regret backing the game as I only backed $60 for the physical PS4 version.  The game is Shenmue 3.  What I knew of Shenmue was pretty small since I have not played it yet, however, I do own it.  I remember a friend of mine that lived across from me as a kid had a Dreamcast and a game called Shenmue.  I remember him never shutting up about how great the game was.  "Ya, ya.  Will you just put in Spawn already!"  People have been waiting for a Shenmue 3 for years and at this years E3 the creator took to the stage at the Playstation conference and announced a Shenmue 3 Kickstarter campaign.  Not sure what had a larger applause Shenmue 3 Kickstarter or Final Fantasy VII Remake.

The last game I backed on Kickstarter is Muv-Luv.  I have already posted regarding this Kickstarter which is currently still live.  If you want to browse what I had to say regarding this Kickstarter just click!

No comments:

Post a Comment